This 45 minute virtual training will focus primarily on caries prevention. It offers a brief review of Early Childhood Caries (ECC) and addresses how the use of fluoride is part of a comprehensive approach to a child’s oral health. Specifically, clinicians will learn the benefits, as well as how to apply fluoride varnish and provide adequate follow-up care.
Objectives of this training include:
- Review the prevalence, etiology and consequences of early childhood caries (ECC)
- How to perform an appropriate oral examination on small children
- How to perform a Caries Risk Assessment including reviewing a specific tool, and
- Review the effects, sources, and benefits of fluoride varnish
- How to apply fluoride varnish
- Advise families on strategies to prevent caries
There are three interactive quizzes embedded throughout the training. The training concludes with a short demonstration video on the application of fluoride varnish and tips for implementing varnish in the office setting. After participants review the training and pass required quizzes, they will receive 1 CME after completion of the From the First Tooth early childhood caries prevention training. After completing the training, in a practice setting the learner is encouraged to clinically demonstrate the application of fluoride varnish with their supervisor.
Click the picture below to begin the training!