Brush child’s teeth twice a day with a small amount of fluoride toothpaste the size of a grain of rice. If your toddler does not like having his/her teeth brushed, here are some ways to make it fun:
- Allow your child to decide where tooth brushing will take place.
- Watch a tooth brushing video online.
- Turn on a favorite television show during brushing time.
- Allow your child to choose his or her own toothbrush and toothpaste at the store.
- Ask your child’s medical doctor or dentist about a simple fluoride application that can be given at the office.
- Wean baby from the bottle by age 1. Now your baby should be drinking water from a sippy cup. Offer your child milk in a sippy cup during mealtimes as well as a maximum of 4 ounces of 100% fruit juice per day. When your child is not having a meal, the sippy cup should only contain water.
- Check your baby’s teeth for spots and stains. Ask his/her medical doctor or dentist about any problems you notice.
- Children should have their first dental check up by age 1. Schedule a visit with a dentist or ask your child’s medical doctor to look at his/her teeth.