What does fluoride do?
- Fluoride is a naturally occurring mineral that strengthens teeth
- When fluoride is incorporated into enamel, the outer layer of the teeth, it makes the teeth stronger and more resistant to cavities
Why do I need fluoride?
- Drinking fluoridated water strengthens your teeth making them more resistant to dental disease
- Fluoride toothpastes, rinses, and varnishes all help to rebuild your teeth when they are weakened by decay (Add: For more information on FV click here- FTFT website)
What products contain fluoride?
- Many dental products contain fluoride, but not all, so check that you are using a fluoride containing toothpaste and mouth rinse
- Fluoride is often found naturally in drinking water (both bottled and tap)
- Many communities choose to adjust the fluoride levels in their water supplies, sometimes adding fluoride, to provide the optimal dental benefits for all members of the community, this water is safe and recommended for pregnant women too
- If you have well water, talk to your doctor about getting it tested to see if the fluoride levels are beneficial
Is fluoride safe?
- Yes! Over 70 years of research and thousands of studies consistently prove that fluoride is safe and effective at reducing tooth decay
- More than 60 countries choose to fluoridate their water, providing over 405 million people with the benefits of consuming fluoridated water