From the First Tooth is a pediatric oral health initiative promoting the oral health of infants, toddlers and preschool children. The purpose of the initiative is to assist primary care medical providers integrate the following as standard of care for young pediatric patients:
- Assessing the oral health of young children
- Applying fluoride varnish to help prevent tooth decay
- Educating parents and caregivers about pediatric oral health
- Making dental referrals
Tooth decay is the most common disease impacting children. Few young children receive routine preventive dental care from a dental provider yet most children get primary medical care. It is now standard for medical providers to be involved in pediatric oral health and fluoride varnish has been proven to be a safe and effective method for preventing tooth decay in children.
From the First Tooth is here to support primary care medical providers in providing preventive oral health interventions for young children. From the First Tooth is a five state collaborative located in Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Connecticut and Rhode Island. Each state offers slightly different assistance to medical practices but we are all working together with health care providers to improve children’s oral health in the region.
FTFT is funded by the DentaQuest Foundation in all five states and in Maine by grants from the Sadie & Harry Davis Foundation, Northeast Delta Dental and the US Department of Health and Human Services, Health Resources and Services Administration.
From the First Tooth is administered through non-profit organizations in each state as follows:
- Maine – MaineHealth in collaboration with EMHS and MaineGeneral Health
- Connecticut – CT Foundation for Children
- Massachusetts – CT Foundation for Children
- New Hampshire – North Country Health Consortium
- Rhode Island – CT Foundation for Children