Medical Providers and Parents Help Prevent Tooth Decay in Children.
Parents can help their children by:
- Brushing their babies’ teeth with fluoride toothpaste twice a day.
- Asking for a fluoride varnish application at their baby’s next medical or dental appointment. Children who receive at least four applications of fluoride varnish have a lot less tooth decay than other children.
From the First Tooth:
From the First Tooth is a collaborative initaitive located in New England. It promotes improving children’s oral health by integrating early preventive dental services into pediatric medical care – primarily as part of well child visits.
- Medical Providers:
- Use the materials in the Healthcare Provider section to offer the services in your practice. They have been tested in hundreds of practices.
- Support for health professions training programs is available.
- The Center for Excellence section of this website allows for similar efforts in other states to be shared.
- Parents: Access information about your child’s oral health through the “Parent” section of this website.
- Employers: Access information about fluoride varnish as a medical benefit through the employers and insurance section of this website.
Early prevention protects children!